Tanwood School for Performing Arts -
Teaching Staff : TNWD Performing Arts -
Pollyann Tanner. A history....
Owner : Tanwood Performing Arts School.
Qualified : AISTD-Dip,AIDTA,MRAD,MBTDA
The school & teaching staff at Twnwood are headed up by Pollyann Tanner. She has been teaching dance in all its forms to people from 1 year to 65 years for over thirty years, with a career in Dance and theatre for nearly 50 years!! You will find that hard to beat here in Swindon!
Pollyann Tanner is a well-known director, choreographer, performer and teacher who first performed at the age of two! At 19, Pollyann became assistant choreographer to Carole Todd and has since been involved in a diverse range of projects such as musicals, pantos, national tours, commercials, trade and fashion shows, cabarets, youth and community projects, cheerleaders, Tiller girls on the radio (for the queen) the ex-British ice skating pairs champions and many award winning commissioned works.
As a performer she has played leading roles in many West End musicals, national tours, rep theatre and more than 35 pantos, alongside many leading names including Charles Dance, Danny la Rue, Wayne Sleep, Barbara Windsor to name but a few. She presented a popular Saturday morning show and can be seen on numerous TV commercials worldwide.
She is now a director of the Tanwood School for Performing Arts, but as a qualified teacher still freelances in schools and colleges and fitness institutions around the country and directs and choreographs shows for many local and countrywide organisations.
Pollyann was involved in the conception of the ‘Summer Youth Project’ and has since directed/choreographed 14 in Swindon, 1 in Hayes 9 in Birmingham and 2 in Milton Keynes.
Pollyann is currently in Milton Keynes at the the wonderful national theatre this summer. She has the amazing job of directing /choreographing 'Guys & Dolls' for there Summer 2012 Project!!
In 2008 Pollyann launched her own musicals company ‘Empire Theatre Company’ , with a sensational production of the Broadway hit ‘42nd Street’, followed by ‘Scrooge’ and ‘West Side Story’ with ‘The lion The Witch and The Wardrobe’ and ‘Fame’ and the recent smash hit ‘Boogie Nights’
Tanwood Students have been all England finals winners, Grandison Clark award winners and Janet Cram award winners, and receive 100% pass rates in all ISTD, IDTA, and RAD exams. 20 students have become associates of the Royal Ballet with 7 actually gaining a place at the Royal Ballet School.
Tanwood Pupils have performed for Princess Margaret at Drury Lane Theatre and Her Majesty the Queen at the Royal Festival Hall for her 60th birthday celebrations, and Princess Anne was guest of honour at the Tanwood annual extravaganza at the Wyvern Theatre Swindon in the 80’s
Tanwood have been providing dancers for professional panto’s for over 50 years, and are in constant demand for concerts and cabaret performances.
The former Patron of Tanwood, Moira Shearer sadly passed away in 2006 and we are very honoured that Bonnie Langford had offered to step in to her (red) shoes. All the pupils are very excited as Bonnie is a fantastic role model and are all looking forward to the show tonight.
Pollyann hails from a truly theatrical family; Mother – Dance Teacher/Adjudicator; Father – pianist; Brother–in–law – ex-Royal Ballet principal; 3 children (25,23,13) all of who’ tread the boards’!.
Previous and Current Experience
Dance Teacher (AISTD-Dip,AIDTA,MRAD,MBTDA)
• Director of Tanwood School for Performing Arts
• Guest Teacher Swindon College, New College- Swindon, All that Jazz College, Bristol
• General Dance Programme teacher (national curriculum linked) – Lydiard Millicent C of E primary school
• Wiltshire representative – Sainsbury's active Kids .providing classes to wilts and Oxon in Ballroom, Latin, salsa, rock and roll, fitness, line dance, cheer-leading.
• Qualified Zumba Instructor ..For schools and health clubs ( Devere , Cricklade , Curves)
• Choreographed/directed professional National tours, TV Commercials. Repertory productions and Pantomimes
• Conceived the 'Summer Youth Project ' and has since choreographed and directed 24 Staged many local companies' productions for Kentwood Choir ,Ten in a Bar ,WBLOS and Six Sense Theatre
• Director /Choreographer 'Empire Theatre Company' productions
• National Tours, West end Musicals, TV Commercials, Films as singer /dancer /actress
• TV presenter – Saturday morning programme – Freeze Frame.. productions country wide